Category: Shrub - Evergreen
Zones: 6 to 9
Size: 3 to 6' tall and wide
Growth Rate: Fast
Exposure: Sun, Filtered Sun, Part Shade
Semi-evergreen. Dense mounding shrub but with splayed branches that can become leggy. Some autumn color. Flowers on new growth and can be pruned heavily to maintain shape. Flowers will last through autumn.
Francis Mason - to 4.5' tall, light pink flowers, golden variegated foliage, arching branches, one of the older variegated cultivars (from Mason's Nurseries, New Zealand, 1950s)
John Creech - tall end of the range, white flowers with pink tint, dark green leaves
Gold Spot (Gold Sport, Gold Strike, Aurea, Golden Glow) - golden leaves or gold variegated, all very similar cultivars
Sunrise - NC State Arboretum, Raleigh, 1998, deep green leaves edged with gold, turning cream and green on older leaves, orange-red autumn color, sport of Francis Mason.
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Abelops' ('Sunshine Daydream')
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Canyon Creek'
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Conti' (Confetti®)
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Flat Creek'
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Gretol' (Twist of Lime™)
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Hopleys'
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope'
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Little Richard'
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Margarita'
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Minipan' (Golden Anniversary™)
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Panache' (Silver Anniversary™)
- Abelia x grandiflora 'Rose Creek'
'Grandiflora' means large-flowered.
The status of this name Abelia x grandiflora is unresolved - it is considered unplaced which means that a resolution has been sought but no conclusion reached - often because the source data has insufficient description and no herbarium species are known. (PlantList)