Category: Shrub - Deciduous
Zones: 5 to 9
Size: To 1.5' tall and 3' wide
Growth Rate: Moderate
Extremely compact habit probably wider than tall. Dark green foliage and small white flower panicles starting in June and continuing through the summer. Prefers well-drained soil, full sun and adequate moisture. Attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies.
Developed by Dennis Werner at NC State University and marketed by Spring Meadow as part of the Lo & Behold® series. From patent application (11/07/2011):
The new and distinct variety of butterfly bush resulted from a formal breeding program established by the inventors in Raleigh, N.C., United States. One of the objectives of the breeding program was to develop a dwarf, spreading Buddleja with white flowers. 'Ice Chip' was selected at a research station in Jackson Springs, N.C. in 2006 from a population of 357 seedling progeny derived from a hand pollinated cross of 'Blue Chip'... the other parent of 'Ice Chip', is a hybrid of 'White Ball'×'Nanho Purple'. 'Nanho Purple' is a variety derived from Buddleja davidii var. nanhoensis. 'White Ball' is a complex hybrid, presumably containing B. davidii and B. fallowiana.
- Buddleja alternifolia Maxim.
- Buddleja hybrid 'Blue Chip'
- Buddleja cordata Kunth
- Buddleja davidii Franch.
- Buddleja hybrid 'Evil Ways'
- Buddleja fallowiana Balf.f. & W.W.Sm.
- Buddleja x hybrid 'Buzz™ Ivory'
- Buddleja x hybrid 'Buzz™ Lavender'
- Buddleja x hybrid 'Buzz™ Sky Blue'
- Buddleja x hybrid 'Buzz™ Velvet'
- Buddleja lindleyana Fortune
- Buddleja saligna Willd.
- Buddleja salviifolia (L.) Lam.
- Buddleja thyrsoides Lam.
- Buddleja x weyeriana Weyer
- Buddleja hybrid 'White Ball'
I purchased a 1-gallon plant at Thomas's Orchards in October 2013 and planted it in the One Of Everything garden. It dwindled and died in the winter.