Category: Shrub - Evergreen
Zones: 8 to 11
Size: To 13' tall in native habitat
Semi-evergreen, arching habit. Velvety grey-green leaves, lance-shaped. Purple to white flowers on narrow panicles in late summer to autumn. Attractive to bees and butterflies. Flowers on old wood. Listed as zone 7 to 9, 10 to 12' tall and 8 to 10' wide at Woodlanders. Dirr says 7' in 2 years at UGA.
Published in Encycl. (J. Lamarck & al.) 1(2): 513 in 1785.
Also published in Pl. Rar. Hort. Schoenbr. 1: 12 t. 28 in 1797.
Basionym Lantana salviifolia L.
Native to tropical and southern Africa.
Named because the leaves resemble those of Salvia farinacea.
- Buddleja alternifolia Maxim.
- Buddleja hybrid 'Blue Chip'
- Buddleja cordata Kunth
- Buddleja davidii Franch.
- Buddleja hybrid 'Evil Ways'
- Buddleja fallowiana Balf.f. & W.W.Sm.
- Buddleja x hybrid 'Buzz™ Ivory'
- Buddleja x hybrid 'Buzz™ Lavender'
- Buddleja x hybrid 'Buzz™ Sky Blue'
- Buddleja x hybrid 'Buzz™ Velvet'
- Buddleja hybrid 'Ice Chip'
- Buddleja lindleyana Fortune
- Buddleja saligna Willd.
- Buddleja thyrsoides Lam.
- Buddleja x weyeriana Weyer
- Buddleja hybrid 'White Ball'
I purchased a 1-gallon plant at Woodlanders in May 2013 and planted it in the Gumball Border Garden.