Category: Shrub - Evergreen
Zones: 6 to 9
Size: 3 to 4' tall and wide
Growth Rate: Slow
Exposure: Sun, Filtered Sun, Part Shade
ID: opposite, simple, oval, entire, only 1/3 to 1" long and 1/6 to 1/3" wide. Compact, dense, rounded shrub. Prefers well-drained, high pH soil. Do not cultivate around it because the roots are close to the surface.
Good for hedges or foundation plantings. Roots require cool moist soil. Part shade in the south.
'JT Baldwin' (John Baldwin) has a bluish tone on the new foliage
- Buxus microphylla 'Frierson's Compact'
- Buxus microphylla 'Grace Hendricks Phillips'
- Buxus microphylla 'Green Beauty'
- Buxus microphylla 'Kingsville Dwarf' ('Compacta')
- Buxus microphylla 'Sunburst'
Published in Abh. Math.-Phys. Cl. Königl. Bayer. Akad. Wiss. 4(2): 142 in 1846.
Native to Japan but unknown in the wild. Introduced in 1860.