Category: Shrub - Deciduous
Zones: 6 to 9
Size: 2 to 3' tall and wide
Growth Rate: Moderate
Exposure: Sun, Filtered Sun
Blue flowers in late summer to autumn. Mounding habit. Prefers loose, well-drained soil, does not like wet winter soil. Dirr says to treat as a herbaceous perennial and cut back in late winter. McIndoe says to cut back hard in late winter when new shoots are visible on the lower third of the plant, removing the top two thirds of the stems. Attractive to bees and butterflies.
'Moody Blue' - variegated foliage, UK 2002
'Lissilv' (Sterling Silver) PPAF - silver grey foliage and deep blue flowers
'Heavenly Blue' - sapphire blue flowers, grey-green willow-like leaves
'First Choice' - large deep blue flowers and good foliage
- Caryopteris x clandonensis 'First Choice'
- Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Longwood Blue'
- Caryopteris x clandonensis Petit Bleu™ ('Minibleu')
- Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Summer Sorbet'
- Caryopteris x clandonensis 'White Surprise'
- Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Worcester Gold'
Hybrid raised in Surrey, England around 1933 by Arthur Simmonds.
First published in Gard. Chron., ser. 3 94: 226 in 1933.