Parent: Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum
Category: Shrub - Evergreen
Zones: 7 to 9
Size: 6' tall and wide
Growth Rate: Moderate
Exposure: Sun, Filtered Sun, Part Shade
Dark red-purple foliage retains its color. Bright red-pink flowers.
Introduced by Mark Griffiths. Marketed by Gardener's Confidence.
- Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Crimson Fire' ('PIILC-II')
- Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Hines Purple Leaf' (Pizzazz™ Plum Delight™)
- Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Ruby Snow' ('sPg-3-002')
- Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Shang-hi' (Purple Diamond®)
- Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Shang-lo' ('Peack')
- Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Sizzling Pink'
- Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum Sparkling Sangria™ ('PIILC-II')
1 purchased 6 1-gallon plants from McCorkles in September 2009 and planted them in two groups of 3 along the pool fence in the 'Golf Course Hedge'. The ones nearest the perennial bed have done best, the ones as the other end were suffering from insufficient moisture but in 2011 we resolved that issue and they have performed much better. Deep red flowers which I prefer to the pink of the other cultivars. In spring 2013 I moved 2 from each group and replanted them in the Mail Box Garden and the Hide The Hydrant bed.