Parent: Nandina domestica
Category: Shrub - Evergreen
Zones: 6 to 10 Hardy to 10 to 15F
Size: 2 to 3' tall and wide
Growth Rate: Slow
Exposure: Sun, Filtered Sun, Part Shade
Thin, lacy leaves with white flowers in late spring and summer. Water sparingly. Autumn color is orange to bronze or purple/red. New growth has a red tinge.
Imported from Japan and named by Ray Yoshimura of San Gabriel nursery. Also sold as 'San Gabriel', 'Kirajuse', 'Orihime' and N. filamentosa 'Threadleaf'.
- Nandina domestica 'AKA' (Blush Pink®)
- Nandina domestica 'Alba'
- Nandina domestica 'Atropurpurea Nana' ('Nana Purpurea')
- Nandina domestica 'Firepower'
- Nandina domestica 'Gulf Stream'
- Nandina domestica 'Lemon-Lime'
- Nandina domestica 'Murasaki' (Flirt™)
- Nandina domestica 'Royal Princess'
- Nandina domestica 'Twisted Leaves'
I purchased a 1 gallon plant at Garden Hood in Atlanta in October 2010 and planted it by the helipad. I took care to cover it on cold nights in winter 2011 and it suffered no ill effects. In spring 2011 it has a new flush of leaves. In winter 2012 I mulched well but did not cover, no ill effects. In spring 2013 the main stems bent over to the ground and were nibbled by rabbits. New growth came out at the base and was also nibbled by rabbits until I got a fence up.