Category: Shrub - Evergreen
Zones: 6 to 8
Size: 4 to 6' tall and 3 to 5' wide
Exposure: Sun, Filtered Sun, Part Shade
Oval, dark green, leathery, opposite leaves. Small white fragrant flowers in spring. Compact form, upright rounded. Easy to grow. Well-drained soil.
Published in Kew Bull. 26(3): 489 in 1972.
Basionym X Osmarea burkwoodii Burkwood & Skipw.
RHS Award of Garden Merit 2002, Award of Merit 1978.
Raised by Burkwood and Skipwith around 1930.
- Osmanthus americanus (L.) Benth. & Hook.f. ex A.Gray
- Osmanthus armatus Diels
- Osmanthus decorus (Boiss. & Balansa) Kasapligil
- Osmanthus delavayi Franch.
- Osmanthus x fortunei Carrière
- Osmanthus fragrans Lour.
- Osmanthus heterophyllus (D.Don) P.S.Green
I purchased a 1-gallon plant from Woodlanders in February 2013. I planted it in the In Between Garden in April 2013. By September 2014 it had not grown at all and I potted it up for replanting elsewhere.