Parent: Salvia greggii
Zones: 5 to 9
Size: 2' tall and wide
Bright purple flowers from spring to frost. Deer and rabbit resistant. Cut back in late spring. Deer and rabbit resistant.
Thought to be a hummingbird initiated cross between blue flowered Salvia lycioides and rose-pink flowered Salvia greggii. (McMahan's)
- Salvia greggii 'Flame Thrower'
- Salvia greggii 'Heatwave Glitter'
- Salvia greggii 'Purple Pastels'
- Salvia greggii 'Vanilla' ('SallyG™ Vanilla')
- Salvia greggii 'Variegata' ('Desert Blaze?')
- Salvia greggii 'White'
- Salvia greggii 'Wild Thing'
I purchased a 1.5 qt plant at McMahan's in July 2012 and planted it in the In Between Garden. It performed well and bloomed quite profusely in early autumn. Browned in the first frost however. It came back strongly in spring 2013 and I moved it to the Blue Bird Perennials garden.